New & Noteworthy
Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society Inducts 14 Hospitality Students
February 19, 2015
The Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society inducted 14 students from the Hospitality Management program from three Ferris campuses: Big Rapids, Flint and Grand Rapids. Twelve of the 14 students attended a formal induction ceremony on Tuesday, February 3, in Big Rapids. In attendance were Hospitality Management Program Advisory Board members and faculty, Ferris administrators, and guests.
The Eta Sigma Delta International Hospitality Management Society recognizes Hospitality Management students for academic excellence; it aims to lead hospitality educators and professionals to the highest levels of proficiency and accomplishment in the industry. The honor society receives support and guidance from the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education. To be considered, students must have a 3.0 grade point average or higher and be ranked in the top 20th percentile in their class standing.
During the ceremony, Tom Ruddy, area director with Applebee’s, gave a keynote address on the importance of real world experiences and a strong education when entering the hospitality field. He discussed his own professional career path, commented on the passionate faculty at Ferris, and encouraged students to utilize listening diversity to help them succeed in the future.
“We are so proud of these hospitality students and their achievements,” said Julie A. Doyle, Hospitality Management program coordinator and Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society advisor. “We have high expectations for them and look forward to the positive impact they will make in the future.”
The 2015 inductees are:
Big Rapids Campus
· Holly Austin, junior, Muskegon
· Wayne Bersano, junior, Rhodes
· Chelsea Broekema, senior, Ada
· Ashley Dardis, junior, Otsego
· Yadan Du, senior, Pingding Shan, China
· Kayla Garrett, junior, Pinconning
· Leah McHugh, junior, Big Rapids
· Courtney Meyer, senior, Burtchville
· Danielle Murphy, junior, Lansing
· Cameron Pennymon, junior, Macomb
Grand Rapids Campus
· Jessica Bryant, senior, Grand Rapids
· Shannon Moore, senior, Belmont
· Emily Smitter, junior, Grand Rapids
· Jennifer Kuhl, senior, Flint