Professional activities and areas of interest
After 30 years in the Information Systems and business environment, Professor Furstenberg joins the Ferris ISI program as a full-time faculty member in the fall of 2014.
His wide industry experiences include multimillion-dollar retail corporations, small to medium enterprises, independent retail organizations, nonprofit, academic and medical. He has held many different positions at all levels in both large corporations and small organizations. Some of which include; Chief Information Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Infrastructure Analyst, Systems Administrator, IT Security Analyst and Cyber Security Consultant. In addition, Professor Furstenberg is an active member and serves as Team 2 Leader for the State of Michigan’s Cyber Civilian Corps (MiC3); a group of trained Cyber First Responder (CFR) professionals who volunteer their time and trade-craft to provide professional incident response expertise and assistance to the government and industry in times of cyber emergencies.
- Ph.D. in Cyber Security/Information Assurance
- EC-Council Certified Instructor (CEI)
- IBM Security Authorized Instructor
- ISC2 Authorized Instructor
- Palo Alto Authorized Instructor
- Red Hat Academy Authorized Instructor
When he is not teaching, doing homework, studying or researching cyber security, Professor Furstenberg enjoys coaching youth soccer. He is a nationally licensed youth soccer coach, past State of Michigan Youth Coach of the Year and past Special Olympics Area 2 Coach of the Year.
His primary technical and research interests are Packet and Protocol Analysis, Network Forensics, Intrusion Analysis, Indicators of Compromise (IOC), Reverse Engineering Malware, Vulnerability Management, Risk Analysis, Artificial Intelligence and Insider Threats.
- Ph.D. in Cyber Security/Information Assurance from Nova Southeastern University.
- MS, Information Security and Intelligence, Penetration Testing concentration, Ferris State University.
- BS, Information Security and Intelligence, Digital Forensics concentration, Ferris State University.
- GIAC Continuous Monitoring Certification (GMON)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH)
- Certified Network Defender ( C|ND)
- Certified Penetration Testing Engineer (CPTE)
- Certified Lantern Forensic Examiner (CLFE)
- Certified Nexpose Administrator (CNA)
- Palo Alto Accredited Configuration Engineer (ACE)
- Certified Secure Computer User (C|SCU)
- Furstenberg, J. J. (2020). An investigation of the factors that contribute to the perceived likelihood of compliance with the HIPAA security rule among healthcare covered entities and business associates
- FBI -InfraGuard Member
- HSIN – Homeland Security Information Network Member
- State of Michigan MIC3 – Area 2 Team Leader